Do you know what I love? I love marzipan, and I love ice cream. Today the idea to combine the two has dawned upon me. Marzipan ice cream, HOW did I not think of it earlier?
Guys, sometimes I disappoint myself greatly. I wish I could sit down and ponder on my inability to connect two great loves into one, but I just HAD to go and find a good recipe to satisfy my need. I went through a couple until I found this lovely thing by Love and Olive Oil. You know you’ve got a good ice cream recipe when the base is custard – and not just cream / milk, which will result in that yikes-like layer of fat that gets stuck at the top of your mouth from other homemade ice cream recipes.
At time likes this, I am SOSOSO glad I have an Ice Cream Maker. I bought this baby a few months ago and I’ve been using it (a bit excessively, some will say), ever since. And this is winter time, you guys. I can’t even imagine how many tasty treats I’ll be making once it’s summer time 🍦🍦🍦. It’s just so great to be making things from scratch, and to being able to come up with your own crazy flavors whenever you like. Do you have a crazy (delicious) idea for an ice cream flavor? let me know in the comments!!
Marzipan is one of my favorite things. I actually used to hate it when I was little and didn’t understand that almonds = life. Do you have foods (I’m looking at you, previous picky eaters!) that you used to hate and now can’t get enough of? my list is embarrassingly long.
I said marzipan so many times my brain developed a form of obsession which has caused me to open a brand new package (😲) of almond paste and nibble on it while writing this post. And by nibble I mean devour. Cuz it’s gone.
Recipe: Marzipan Ice Cream
What I Liked
- Pretty good method, I’ve seen it at david lebovitz before. It actually turned out like ice cream, which is not a given. However, I still prefer to put all of the liquids in the pot, and dont bother with the ice bucket.
- Also, there’s no real need to keep the ice cream base overnight, as SeriousEats science shows us.
What I Didn’t Like
- I wasn’t a big fan of the marzipan swirl. It was difficult to get it to not lose itself in the ice cream, and I didn’t think it adds too much in terms of flavor. If anything, it had a weird texture. Next time, I’ll just add little marzipan bits to the ice cream, like cookie dough 😍
- Not enough almond flavor, as I like mine quite strong. I ended up almost doubling the almond extract and it was good.
- If you don’t have marzipan in hand, fear not! You can try this recipe: almond paste. It’s super easy, and provides for endless snacks. I mean, until you eat it all. And then you need to make more.
Make it Again?
I’ll definitely be making my marzipan ice cream adaptation to this recipe, but not the original. I think my version is less fussy, and it has chunks of marzipan. I don’t think I need to explain myself further.