Recipe: Teriyaki Chicken
What I Liked
- Relatively quick and easy
- Mine looked just like her version, which is not a given!
- Quite versatile recipe, in terms of veggies and protein – I used edamame beans because I was too lazy to cut broccoli (isn’t it the most daunting thing EVER?), and added some onion to up the flavor a bit. You can use carrots, bean sprouts, or any vegetable you have at hand. Even the protein is substitute – beef would go great in this recipe, or little salmon bits. Mmmh, salmon.
What I Didn’t Like
My main issue with this recipe was the sauce. I usually use kikoman’s teriyaki sauce which is a total bleh, so I was super excited to see a homemade teriyaki sauce recipe with ingredients that I had on hand. However, I found the sauce to be too sour, and it didn’t compliment the chicken in my opinion.
Don’t get me wrong, we definitely ate it (cuz like, dinner?) but it didn’t have a “wow” factor. Not even a “mmm” factor, really.
- Sauce was too sour.
- Not enough sauce! It was like “rice – space – chicken on top” kind of thing, and I like the sauce to drip into the rice and make it all brown and nommy.
- Didn’t look as good the next day, probably because of the cornstarch.
- Use a different teriyaki sauce recipe, haven’t found the perfect one yet – so please let me know if you did!
- Double the sauce.
Make it Again?
No Sir! 👎
While this was a nice recipe to make on a Wednesday night (aka, busiest night), it really wasn’t memorable and I won’t be making it again, at least not with the sauce provided.
Do you say Teriyaki Chicken, or Chicken Teriyaki? I think I’m having an existential crisis.